A blog I read regularly (although the author posts far too infrequently) recently posed a sad question: It’s your last day to live. What do you do? Her list is haunting.
I thought a final to do list would be funnier or more outrageous. You’d think that on your last day on this planet you’d want to do something ridiculous like drag-race a cop in the middle of downtown Los Angeles during rush hour or something reckless like go skydiving without first testing your parachute gear. Or maybe do something whimsical like go running with the bulls in Spain. Naked.
As it turns out though, the author of the article would, on her last day here on Earth, do the things she could do on any given day. Funny how that works out.
As for my list:
- Sleep in.
- Have the eggs benedict at Cafe 50’s with my husband.
- Watch a movie and eat lots of popcorn with jalapeños until my stomach hurts. Ask my husband why he let me eat so many jalapeños.
- Grab lunch with my sister and my best friend. Laugh until we all cry.
- Take a nap.
- Futz around the internet, catching up on my favorite celebrity gossip websites.
- Re-read my favorite books.
- Write a letter to my husband.
- Write letters to my parents.
- Write letters to my siblings.
- Write a letter to someone I knew in a past life.
- Throw a dinner party. Invite all my family and friends.
- Invite all my enemies.
- Dance the night away under the starry sky.
- Fall asleep in the arms of my husband while memorizing the sounds of my cats’ purrs.
- Pray that everyone I know and love — and even everyone I don’t — lives a good and happy life.